Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Linux, I think I have finally adopted you

As some of you may recall, in the past I did a article about JoliOS (Now known as JoliCloud) and how it really made linux more appealing to those of us (like me) that have had a somewhat difficult time adopting the OS. JoliCloud brought the familiar and simplistic interface similar to the iPhone/iPad and Android systems to the desktop. It was clean, easy to use and best of all you didn’t have to mess with the command line!
Plus, how can you not resist that cute little penguin!

I still like JoliCloud and think it’s a great version of Linux but recently, my job took me in the direction of full on linux. I acquired our Jira instance into my HP ALM farm. This had a positive and negative impact on me; the positive was that I was administrating our Jira instance which allowed me the ability to better maintain it and work out the issues we were having with the communication between it and HP ALM. The negative was that it was on a linux server. now, I’m primarily a Windows guy so this definitely made me a little uneasy. I really don’t know that much about linux, especially the command line. What am I going to do if it crashes? What about updates? what about… and the list went on and on.

I’m not bragging here but I think I’m a smart guy, I catch on to things pretty fast and I’ve just been avoiding the inevitable. So over the Memorial Day holiday, I decided I’m going to start learning linux. I tried a few distributions out and settled on Linux Mint. I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed with it. mint is based on Ubuntu, the reigning king of Linux distros and vastly becoming the base for all others out there. I set it up in a VirtualBox instance and then on my Compaq Mini 110. I had zero hardware issues on both. it recognized my video card on my desktop and my wireless card on my mini. These were the two problem areas I had with most linux distros. (Except JoliCloud) the other main area of issues I always had was setting up VPN and remote desktop. I could never get those to work. With mint I was able to easily set up VPN and RDP and can now work from home through linux.

At this point I was really digging linux and what it had to offer. I still have to work a little more with the office application that it comes with but other than that, I’m really liking it! So much that I’m actually considering doing a dual boot system now with Mint as my primary OS. I do have a lot of Windows based applications I still use so I’m not quite ready to make the move yet. once I can get them to work in Wine then I’ll be ready.

If you’ve been thinking about trying out linux, I highly recommend Linux Mint! Set it up in a VM or an old PC that’s just sitting around gathering dust. I’m sure you’ll be like me and find it a refreshing breath of minty fresh air!

Enhanced by Zemanta
Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Windows Live Tags: Linux,JoliOS,JoliCloud,interface,Android,Jira,Mint,Ubuntu,VirtualBox,Compaq,Mini,system,Wine,desktop,distros
Blogger Labels: Linux,JoliOS,JoliCloud,interface,Android,Jira,Mint,Ubuntu,VirtualBox,Compaq,Mini,system,Wine,desktop,distros

0 comments: