Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Down the Tubes! But in a fun way

Every once in a while you come across something really cool on the web that makes you enjoy it again like it was a brand new toy. Today I’m grovin’ on Yahoo Pipes.

image

Yahoo Pipes is a mashup tool that lets you take data from all sorts of different sources and bring them together to create custom content. This can be for your personal site, blog, twitter, whatever you want. It’s actually not to hard to do.

Now, I approached it with my typical “get your hands dirty” approach and tried creating my own weather feed pipe. I was successful but am having a problem getting it to update one of my twitter accounts so I decided I better read up and actually learn some things about it before going any farther.

I also found an actual application you can use to create pipes on your desktop and not be stuck with Yahoo. This is good for those companies that don’t want to have any sensitive data potentially slipping through. It’s called DERI Pipes and can be found here. I’ll play with this after I get a good grasp on Yahoo pipes.

Off to go play Mario, well not the actual game but with Yahoo Pipes! I’ll keep you all informed and you may see some of my pipes here!

0 comments: